Total Pageviews

Friday, January 16, 2015

9/365

January 9, 2015

"A man's heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps." Proverbs 16:9

 This morning when the alarm rang at 5:ooam, I dragged myself out of bed convincing my body and mind to leave my comfy and warm bed.  I always find it most challenging to get out of bed on cold days.  But this morning, I was on a mission.  I had to get up and get going on certain activities so that I could complete them before my son woke up.  The last two days, he slept until 6:00am and 6:30am, so I was banking on him repeating that pattern.

I sat down in front of my Bible for some quiet time, opened it up to the chapter that I was about to read and
BAM
!  I heard his cry over the monitor.  I went upstairs and sure enough, he was awake and eagerly awaiting someone to come take him out of his crib.  There goes my quiet time! I thought to myself.  I gave him his breakfast hoping he'd settle a bit and rest some more.  Nope...he was wide awake and ready to play.  I first tried to finish my quiet time with him in my lap.  I gave him a book to keep him occupied.  My idea didn't work.  I wondered if I'd be able to finish my quiet time this morning.

Then, I got another thought. I decided to bring his toys and books, set them on the floor close to me to see if he'd entertain himself.  Thankfully, he was able to keep himself busy while I completed my quiet time.

Isn't that how life is though?  We make plans, but God orders our footsteps.  How incredibly frustrating that can be.  I am a planner.  I like to know what to expect.  When God comes in and interrupts my plans, it makes me a bit uneasy.  In addition to being a planner, I am also a completer.  I like to complete tasks.  When I don't I feel unaccomplished.  So when I make plans, I want to get them done.  Though sometimes I do eventually complete them, there are other times I do not complete them.  Sometimes God has other plans for us.  I've been in these situations before.  In the beginning, they are very challenging for me.  I've fought them because I refuse to let go of my plans.  But that only makes me more frustrated.  There are times when I just throw up my hands and say, "Okay, God!  What do you want me to do?"  I have learned that no matter how frustrated I may feel in the beginning, and how resistant I can be, when I humble myself to God, and go along with what He  has for me. Not only do I feel peace, but I always seem to realize that His path for my footsteps in the situation is so much more than what I planned.  Working away from my son 8 hours a day is tough.  So being able to do my morning with him near is such a delight to my heart.  Not only that, but I am able to model for him, what it looks like to spend a little time in God's word each morning.

PAG

No comments:

Post a Comment