Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

5/365

January 5, 2015

"But he answered and said, it is written, man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."  Matthew 4:4

Jesus said those words to Satan while he was fasting in the desert.  He was at the end of His fast of 40 days and 40 nights.  The thought of fasting that long just overwhelms me.  40 days and nights without ANY food???  Wow!  I am an athletic person.

I am very active, and I value good nutrition.  But I love food!  There is nothing like having a yummy meal alone or with someone.  It is so satisfying to me.  I notice there are times when I tend to overdo my eating.  If it is a delicious meal or snack, I just want more and more of it.

I was once a smoker.  I realized that at some point I stopped enjoying the smokes, yet I continued to smoke for almost 6 years.  Why?  I realized I'd done this because I was chasing after something.  I was searching for something to satisfy me.  Something to fill an immediate need.  I was chasing after that feeling I got the first time I took a drag.  That's how it get sometimes for me with food now that I no longer smoke.  Actually, I have always loved food and felt that way about it.  What I learned and continue to learn is that food can only satisfy my natural appetite. but at some point, I begin to over compensate because I am spiritually unsatisfied.  I need more Jesus.  I need more of the word of God.

Jesus makes reference to this at the end of His 40 day and 40 night fast in chapter 4, verse 4.  He must have been hungry.  He may have even been tired.  Yet He stands His ground and states with confidence what is the truth.  It isn't enough to feed our physical body.  We need to feed our spiritual body as well.

There is nothing like a great meal, therefore, fasting is a challenge for me.  However, we are more than just a natural body.  We are body, mind and spirit wrapped into one.  Each part needs food for survival.  We need to feed our bodies food and water.  We need to feed our brain with intellect. We need to feed our spiritual man so that we are truly made full and feel satisfied. 

Our bodies need food for fuel.  Our spirit man needs Jesus.  We need the word of God.  It helps strengthen us, sustain us and renew us.

Patricia

No comments:

Post a Comment