Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 29, 2015

26/365

January 26, 2015

"That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height: and to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God."  Ephesians 3: 17-19

This morning was a tough morning.  Oh sure, I got up and accomplished much before 6:00 am.  But while playing with my son, I noticed an ache in my heart.  I felt a sadness deep inside for having to leave him and go to work.  My son is currently 13 months old.  I was fortunate enough to be able to spend the first three months with him.  The last 10, I've been at work, away from him 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

The first day I returned to work was really tough.  After a month, it got a little easier.  The months since have all gotten better, but it is still tough at times.  This morning, for some reason, I was deeply saddened by the thought of leaving my son.  While at work thinking about him, and how much I missed him, I had another thought.  I wonder if God feels that same ache for us when we are away from Him. 

We were created with a desire to be in relationship with Him.  We were created in His image, so He must feel that.  Although He allows us to have free will, He still desires a relationship with us.  He is our heavenly father; and the more I parent my own son, the more it seems that God offers me glimpses of His love for me. I begin to see how my relationship with my son somewhat reflects His desired relationship with me.  The love I have for my son is deep.  There is nothing like holding him tight, seeing his face light up when he sees us walking through the door at the end of the day.  There is nothing like getting a hug from him.  These are the things that melt my heart.  I often tell my son that his mom and dad love him so very much.  Then we talk about other family members that also love him (grandmas, grandpas, aunts, uncles and cousins).  When we reach the end of the list of individuals that love him, I tell him to add them all up and multiply their love for him by a million. Then I explain to him that the amount that equals does not compare to the amount God loves him.

If God loves him that much, I know He loves me that much too.  If God feels that way about me, about all of us, I can only imagine His heart for wanting to be near us, and not wanting us to be separated from Him.  If my heart aches at the thought of being separate from my son all day, and God's love for us is so much more than we can fathom, I can only imagine how much His heart aches when we are separated from Him.

"The Lord hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved the with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee." Jeremiah 31:3  The same love had for Israel God had for Israel, He has for us.  And much like How He longed for a closeness with them, He desires a close relationship with us.

PAG

No comments:

Post a Comment