Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

4/365

January 4, 2015

"He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.  Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep." Psalm 121:3-4

As a parent, sleep goes out the window.  In the beginning, the baby wakes up every few hours, and some nights every hour...you can reach the point when you wonder if you will ever get a good night sleep again.  We were at that point.  Then a miracle occurred, our son started sleeping through the night.  We were starting to enjoy this for a while when all of the sudden, he began teething.  Now it was a bit dicey.  Some nights he'll sleep all the way through.  Other nights, he'll wake up between midnight and 3:00am.

The other night, I woke up to his crying over the monitor.  I went to get him.  Usually, he will settle when I bring him to our room.  But on this particular night, he kept crying.  I tried calming him with rocking.  He kept crying.  I gave him water.  That usually helps.  It did not help.  I even changed his diaper thinking that would help him.  It calmed him for about a minute.  Then he went back to crying.  I prayed asking God to help.  "Lord please give me some wisdom here.  I am tired and frustrated because I can't seem to figure out how to calm him down."

I prefer not to give him milk between 8:30pm and 6:00am, but I honestly felt desperate.  I prayed a little more for God's wisdom, and finally decided to give him milk.  He gulped it down and was out in a matter of seconds.  He wanted to cuddle, so he snuggled against me and sailed off to dream land once again.  I lay there wide awake relieved as I watched him sleep.

Then I had a thought, "I wonder if this is how God watches over us."  I then, had a further thought, "I wonder if God can sleep, but chooses not to because He wants to keep an eye on His children."  I mean, I was wide awake, but my body was sleepy.  I yearned for sleep again, but at the same time, I wanted to stay awake and keep an eye on my little guy.  I wanted to make sure he was okay.

I continued to chew on the thought of God's ability to sleep.  Can God sleep?   I mean, we were created in His image.  So can He sleep, but He just chooses not to?  I realized that I probably will never know the answer to that question...at least on this side of eternity.  But I did know that His word says, "He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.  Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep." Psalm 121:3-4  So even if He is able to sleep, He does not.  He finds it more important to keep watch over His children.

Although I was up and tired from interrupted sleep, God gave me this revelation and wisdom about Himself. The nights are a time for me to stay up late and over think things and worry while I lay in bed.  He is our protection, so we need not worry.  I can rest (pun intended) in confidence knowing that He is keeping watch over me.  If He is able to do this for me, He is also able to do this for my son.

Patricia

No comments:

Post a Comment