Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

19/365

January 19, 2015

"Wives submit yourselves unto your own husbands as it is fit in the Lord." Colossians 3:18

I have a problem with submission.  Especially when my husband offers constructive criticism and suggests I stop doing something that exudes a less than graceful behavior. I notice that when my husband corrects me in anything, or makes a suggestion on how I can do something I've already done better, my feathers sometimes get a little ruffled.  

I get annoyed and I give him the cold shoulder.  Moreover, I go over his comments in my head and try to think of ways to discount what he has said in order to make what I've done right and appropriate.  I know I'm wrong and that his recommendations are necessary, but in my mind, I look for ways to justify my actions. 

I might also ignore him, or get snippy with him until I feel better about being wrong.  But according to God, my husband is the head of the household.  Not that this gives him the permission to lord power over me. God has commissioned him to be a spiritual leader to me as his wife, and to our household. I am his helpmate and his wife, and when he takes on this role to lead me spiritually, I am to submit.  

This is not a bad thing.  Submission is a form of respect.  I am also to honor my husband. If I am ignoring him, and doing all that I can to discount what he says and make him wrong, then I am not doing either of those things.  

Proverbs 21:9 says, It is better to dwell in a corner of the housetop than with a brawling woman in a wide house.  Wow...I certainly do not want to be that kind of woman.  I want to be the kind described in Proverbs 31 
The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall no need of spoil.  She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life. (Proverbs 31:11-12).  I want him to trust me with his heart, and I want to do good, not evil as long as I am her on earth.  

God chose my husband specifically for me.  He has entrusted me with his heart. When I dishonor my husband by thinking of ways to make what he says trivial, I am putting my pride before his heart.  God also speaks on pride in Proverbs.  Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. (Proverbs 16:18).

Our marriage is to be a reflection of Christ's relationship to the church.  If I treat my husband with so little care, what does that say about how I would treat Jesus?  We are also called as stewards to take care of what God gives us.  In so doing, we honor and show love for Him.

PAG


No comments:

Post a Comment