Total Pageviews

Monday, March 9, 2015

50/365

February 19, 2015

"For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith."

I am an administrative assistant.  I love my job.  I love my boss.  I love the people that I work with.  I could not be more thankful for all things related to my job.  Sure, there are moments when things I dislike try to overrun my day, but in the second part of my first year, I made a decision to act like I chose to be there.  Why?  Because I did, in fact, choose to be there.  I also had a very large desire to be a true reflection of Jesus to the people around me.
I figured that I could not do that with a cranky and sour attitude.  I needed to be the light in whatever way possible.  So...I chose joy to frustration.  I chose to focus on the positive rather than on the negative.  And I chose to have an attitude of gratitude rather than a stinky attitude and complain.  I'm not saying I am perfect in this position.  I have messed up so many times, I cannot help but believe God has truly given me favor in this place.  I still fall and make mistakes.  But each day I go to work, I strive to be a good example of a Christ follower in every way.

Lately, I have been challenged with the fact that I feel like I've outgrown the position and where I am.  Do I want to move into another role in this same place?  No.  I feel like God has a plan for me, and it is bigger than the role I am currently in.  Not only is it bigger than my current role, it is also elsewhere.  The thing is, I am not certain He is ready to move me yet.  So I stay until He gives the go ahead.

Remaining in this position with these thoughts have challenged me.  It is like being a recently turned millionaire who continues scrubbing toilets.  Not that there is anything wrong with scrubbing toilets. That's a role that someone needs to fill.  I thank God for the people that do the job.  It is just challenging because my heart desires to be doing something else.  It is challenging because I know God has another plan for me, which He has revealed, yet I must wait on Him.  It is very humbling because although I believe I have outgrown this role, I must remain in it and serve others.  Not only must I serve others while God has me here, but I must serve others with a God attitude.

I believe that in all roles, God calls His people to serve others.  But I guess its like the example I gave earlier.  Imagine, a toilet cleaner who just inherited millions of dollars.  Maybe he invented this incredible project that he has been working on for years.  He finally got his breakthrough, but he still has to wait a little bit longer before he can leave his current role and take up the new one God has commissioned him to do. Although his value far exceeds his current position, he must remain in this role, humbly doing as he is told.

I am reminded of the verse in Romans 12:3,  to not to think of myself better than I am.  Have I really outgrown this place?  Or am I exactly where I need to be in the role I need to be in?  Is it pride that has me feeling like I need to move on?

I don't know for sure, although I do believe that God puts desires in each of us, and He has a purpose for His children. The purpose is to make Christ known and bring Him glory.  But in that, we are given a task to do so.  We may be called to sing, act, write, preach, or teach.  We might even be called to be an administrative assistant who encourages and shares the gospel exactly where she is.

I also know that just because God has revealed His purpose to us doesn't mean it is time for us to walk in it.  Jesus had a purpose, yet He did not complete the ultimate task set out for Him until He was 33 years old.  He had to wait.  While He waited, He had to be in a position of humility.

Furthermore, as He walked in His purpose to the cross, He had to continue walking in a position of humility.  Jesus was the son of God who humbled Himself to die on a cross.  He is the example I follow as I follow Him.  I cannot think myself higher that I am in my current position, or even for whatever role God moves me.  

I must continue walking in humility as Jesus did.  And I must remember that wherever God places me, it is not about me, but about Him.

PAG

No comments:

Post a Comment